Woodbarn India – Homes with a Green Conscience
Woodbarn India has taken on itself the onus of responsible architecture; architecture responding primarily to ecology and available resources. It was conceptualised by Mr Sanjay Sharma in the year 2006 and is the pioneer company in the segment of wooden structures in India.
It is undoubtedly to the credit of Woodbarn India that a paradigm shift has taken place in the realm of construction. It is the one company that gives due and utmost importance to environment and ecology.Needless to remark, there is a dearth of time, energy and water in today’s world and a wooden structure saves all three.
Being pre-fabricated, they can be readied in as less as 7 days whereas a concrete structure takes a minimum of 1 year. Log houses do not require tons of waterin construction whereas concrete consumes hundreds of litres of water approximately, and water involves cost which is both monetary and social. They are also considered energy efficient as they cool down sooner comparatively and remain cool for longer time and hence do not consume electricity to the same extent as concrete structures. Thus they are extremely eco-friendly and being so is undoubtedly the need of the hour.
The most important of all that needs mention here is that these structures are seismic activity resistant. In the backdrop of the Uttarakhand disaster, this quality has become the highpoint of log constructions. Considering the rampant and speedy environmental degradation and all imminent dangers related to it, wooden formats need to be promoted in a bigger way amidst incessant urbanisation.
Added to that, wooden structures are considered soothing and stress relieving. Wood is considered therapeutic in cases of stress and respiratory disorders.
Let’s join hands in the cause to promote everything that will go a long way in saving the world. Let us favour ourselves by favouring the environment.
Woodbarn uses lumber produced from spruce-pine-fir species (marketed together as SPF)from sustainably managed forests of Canada and Scandinavian countries. The SPF is ideal for residential and commercial construction due to its low cost and high strength to weight ratio. It has been used extensively in Canada and Scandinavia for structural applications in wood-frame construction.
- SPF is ideal for residential and commercial construction due to its low cost and high strength to weight ratio.
- The burning rate of SPF is 0.7mm/min.
- The wood is kiln dried to make it free of cellulose and oil and increases its resistance to termites and borers.
- A wooden structure is done on a concrete or a steel plinth
- Roofs are 100% waterproof
- Base is ACQ treated to make it resistant to termites and borers
- Further treatment and use of water-based coating adds to its durability
- Architectural Flexibility
- Durability - As durable as any concrete structure
- Time Saving and Energy Efficient
- Can be dismantled, relocated and reused
- Increased Thermal Performance and Better Insulation
- Easy to Install Mechanical and Electrical Services
- Lower Carbon Footprint
- 12 times more insulating than concrete
- Seismic Activity Resistant
- Soothing and Stress Relieving